Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Thank you, Father.

It's easy to get caught up in life and forget to appreicate what we have, that is, until it's gone/changed or otherwise not what we should be thankful for anymore. I'm very guilty of this, seldom realizing how good some facet of my life is until it's gone; only becoming noticeable in it's absence.

Over the last few years I've made a concerted effort to get past that and really count my blessings, appreciate them more and offer thanks to God for heaping them upon me. Thankfully, this has made me more cognizant of these things when they rise up, so that I can appreicate them for what they are: true blessings from our Lord.

Last night, during our second Mission Trip meeting, it occurred to me what a wonderful mother my son has. Now, I know my wife is a great, loving mother and I love her more than I could ever verbalize, but I don't know that I'd ever fully realized just how fully awesome her mothering spirit was until our son came down with some nasty stomach bug last night and began rapidly vomiting all over the place.

Now, my wife will be the first to admit she's not always been that comfortable around little children, but the way she sprang into action last night really impressed me. Not only did she physically tend to his needs, she held him close, comforted him, made sure he knew she was there for him, but after he went to bed, she opened up one of our study bibles and poured through it, reading scripture and praying for God's healing hand on our son. I know she prays, but something tells me she attacked this thing last night with the kind of zeal every prayer warrior should wield like a weapon of war.

And.

God listened.

This morning our son woke up healthy and happy, albeit hungry. What the doctor's office said would take anywhere from 12-24 hours to pass, if we were lucky, lasted about 5 hours. In part, or whole, I'm sure, because his mother humbled herself before the Lord almighty and pleaded with him to place his healing hands on our son.

That's what a good Christian mother should do and that's exactly what my wife did.

Thank you, Father. For blessing a screw-up like me with such a wonderful, God honoring woman. She's far more than I ever deserved.

1 comment: