Sunday, November 14, 2010

One for One Challenge: I Double Dog Dare You!

Last spring, Angie and I realized we were losing our spiritual edge. So we turned away from our normal means of nightly entertainment (TV or video games) and started watching online messages, or messages on GodTV (a channel on DirecTv that runs all sorts of Christian conferences, sermons, shows, etc) instead. What we found was after one month, our spiritual sword was sharpened once more and we were back to being on fire for God.

Sadly, we got away from that after we moved, but thankfully, we’ve gotten back into it recently.

So, here’s the challenge.

Every weekday for the next month, I dare you to give up one hour of secular entertainment and replace it with one hour of “feeding yourself” with Christian messages.

For those who have no idea where to find such things, you can either tune into GodTV and record some in advance, or simply point your internet browser to one of the following links for a plethora of choices.

Mars Hill: Sermons & Classes by Mark Driscoll, one of our generation's greatest teachers

LifeChurch.tv World's Largest Online Church featuring our favorite teacher, Craig Groeschel

Palm Valley Church - Our original church home, led by Pastor Greg Rohlinger

Eagle Brook Church - our current church home featuring three wonderful teaching pastors.

Lake Hills Church - Great Willow Creek Church in Austin, TX

North Point Church - led by Andy Stanley, another fantastic teaching Pastor.

Willow Creek - the Mother of all bible-based Churches, led by the amazing Bill Hybels.

So, starting today I DOUBLE DOG DARE YOU to jump into the One for One Challenge.


P.s. If you know of somewhere that has lots of great messages and classes online, please pass the link along.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this challenge! I think we should post daily about the message we chose to watch the night before.

    To add to the challenge, I would like to speak about what I've been doing lately. I used to listen to music at my desk everyday, but over the past few weeks I've realized that it would be a great way to keep my spiritual tank full if I were to listen to messages instead. It's been fabulous!

    It's NOT something that is a replacement for the uninterrupted hour each evening, because I am certainly not 100% focused since I'm working, but as you know, messages that really grab me, I suggest as those to watch with you at night. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say this is ironic, once I got my Ipod one of the first apps I got was 3 separate versions of the bible. (as I mentioned in yest post) Now when I'm out at appts, instead of reading magazines and pull up the Bible and start reading scripture. This is a HUGE step for me seeing I AM a self proclaimed T.V.-aholic. I can't function at home unless the t.v. is on even as backround noise. With the FB christain sites (Godtube-thank you very much) I'm now reading more articles (even if it's on the computer) and watching video sermon clips more. I appreciate the baby steps I'm taking at getting better at paying attention and spending more time with God during my days, as MANY self proclaimed "Christians" go to church on Sundays but then don't act Christain at home/work. Spending NO time in the word, praying or reading. GREAT IDEA MIKE, so with this being said, I TAKE YOUR CHALLENGE!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete