Tuesday, March 2, 2010

There’s no “I” in “me”.

James 3:16 For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice.

How many decisions do we make in one day? Hundreds? Thousands? From “what do I wear today?” to “what should I do next?” to “How do I respond to that?” it’s obvious we have opportunities all day long to affect those we come in contact with at every turn.

Now, thinking of all those decisions, what would happen if we removed the “What I want” component from the deciding process? Instead of making selfish decisions, even little ones, but instead made decisions based on how they would positively impact those we connect with, how far could we shine God’s love into the lives of others?

Jesus calls us all to be a servant first and foremost, but no one can serve others if the central desire is to please one’s self. In fact, by trying to please yourself, you open the door for the evil one to slide in and nudge you down the road to ruin.

In Philippians 2:3, when Paul wrote “Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.” I think he had that in mind.

Imagine how much better this world would be if we all concerned ourselves with the prosperity of others in our decision making, instead of worrying about our own selfish needs and desires.

Today, I’d like to encourage you to spend one day consciously making an effort to make decisions based solely on the needs of those in your life and none based on your own needs. Conduct your home life to benefit your family and not yourself, work your job to benefit your employer and to earn money to benefit your family and church, be selfless in your recreation and extracurricular activities. Begin the day by praying that Jesus would protect this mission of selflessness, and at the end of the day, take a moment to reflect on how doing this has impacted the lives of those around you.

Father God,
You are the Almighty, without You, there would be no us, so who are we to allow selfishness to guide our paths, as if by doing so, we could control our lives.

I often act selfishly, Father, and for that I’m sorry. Please forgive me.

Thank you for allowing Your Grace to override my shortcomings, and for blessing me in spite of my selfish behavior.

Please place Your hand of protection on my heart, mind, body and soul today, so that I can be a selfless blessing to everyone I encounter, in Your honor.

I pray these things in Jesus’ name.

Amen.

Cross posted from http://www.christianrepublic.co.za/

No comments:

Post a Comment