Sunday, February 27, 2011

Curious of your interpretation

The initial (and remaining) purpose of this blog was (and is) to learn and grow in the Word and further our walk with Him. Since it's sparked many a debate and discussion, I thought it made perfect sense to illicit your thoughts on something I've wrestled with for many years. 

I've read this passage at least a dozen times, if not more and since the very first time I've wondered about the meaning behind it.

Mark 5

1 They went across the lake to the region of the Gerasenes. 2 When Jesus got out of the boat, a man with an evil spirit came from the tombs to meet him. 3 This man lived in the tombs, and no one could bind him any more, not even with a chain. 4 For he had often been chained hand and foot, but he tore the chains apart and broke the irons on his feet. No one was strong enough to subdue him. 5 Night and day among the tombs and in the hills he would cry out and cut himself with stones.

6 When he saw Jesus from a distance, he ran and fell on his knees in front of him. 7 He shouted at the top of his voice, “What do you want with me, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? Swear to God that you won’t torture me!” 8 For Jesus had said to him, “Come out of this man, you evil spirit!”

9 Then Jesus asked him, “What is your name?”

“My name is Legion,” he replied, “for we are many.” 10 And he begged Jesus again and again not to send them out of the area.

11 A large herd of pigs was feeding on the nearby hillside. 12 The demons begged Jesus, “Send us among the pigs; allow us to go into them.” 13 He gave them permission, and the evil spirits came out and went into the pigs. The herd, about two thousand in number, rushed down the steep bank into the lake and were drowned.

So, tell me please, what does this mean to you? What's your big take away from this story? After you've responded, either in the comments below or by email, I'll toss out what I get from it and why I think I'm missing something.

Thanks & God bless,
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment