Friday, December 3, 2010

Psalm 23:6 Take II - What's Following You?

Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

I was meditating on this passage the other day and for some reason the word follow really jumped out at me. I thought about it some more and realized that word wasn’t inserted on accident. It wasn’t casually tossed in there in place of another word like “covers” or “blesses” or “blankets” or “holds” or anything else.

It follows us. By the very inference, that means we’re in motion and God’s love is pursuing us.

Think about it. God’s love follows us all the days of our lives. It never takes a break, never stops to ask for directions and never runs out of gas.

His love follows us when we go to Church, ready to worship Him wholeheartedly. It follows us when we go to Church but we’d rather be staying at home doing something more self-serving.

His love follows us when we’re sitting in traffic, aggravated that the person in front of us can’t manage to drive while eating and talking on the cell phone.

His love follows us when our children are sick and we feel helpless.

His love follows us when we make a great achievement and the evil one is tempting us to be prideful.

His love follows us when we’re driving through a storm, literally and figuratively.

His love follows us when we’re running towards Him and even when we’re running away.

God is actively pursuing us, actively trying to catch up to us, bless us with His goodness and enshroud us with His love. And the best part of all is that he always catches us every instant of every day because God is everywhere.

One of the most prevalent lies the evil one seems to sow in the hearts of humans is that we’re unworthy of God’s love.

“Why would God love a sinner like me?”
“Why would He care about someone so insignificant?”
“No God in his right mind would love a person who’s done what I have…”

Well, I thought those very things for a long time, but thankfully, I realized it was all a lie. Now, in meditating on this scripture I can see beyond a shadow of a doubt that God loves me. He always has and always will. His unfailing Word says in no uncertain terms that His goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life. Case closed.

So, when you look over your shoulder, expecting to find the demons of your past, smile because the only thing that matters that’s following you is God’s goodness and love. Forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment