Tuesday, December 7, 2010

John 1:5 - This Bulb Never Burns Out

John 1:5
The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

I love this verse. Every time I read it I feel the elation of victory. It immediately conveys a sense of infinite, eternal hope. No matter how dark things can appear, no matter how many punches I have to roll with, no matter how big the darkness seems, the light shines through.

Bills piling up? Medical issues taking a toll? What’s that new noise the car’s making and what’s it going to cost to fix? Gah!

Is the future’s uncertainty casting a pall? Sure it is. Life’s daily grind is all a part of the spiritual war we live in every moment we draw breath. But, like a lifeline, His light shines in the darkness showing me there’s a way out, there’s hope, there’s a proverbial light at the end of the tunnel.

When I think of light and darkness in emotional or spiritual or existential terms, I see them as metaphors for love and hate, happiness and anger. All the “dark” feelings are the spiritual embodiment of that darkness; sadness, bitterness, anger, discontentment, resentment, hatred, rage. And they’re weapons of the evil one.

However, none of those dark things have overcome the light; happiness, contentedness, cheer, joy, kindness, peace, love. For these are the weapons of God.

The enemy would like me to think these implements of darkness are all past-tense; as if they’re set in stone, as immutable as history, unchanging and eternally established. If I allow myself to give in to such thoughts, I relinquish my gift from the Father, the gift of hope everlasting.

The present of the future is God’s eternal love.

One thing I’ve noticed is the correlation between my walk with Him and walking in the literal sense. If I’m out for a stroll on a sunny day, but I keep my face down, gazing at the ground, things seem darker than they really are. When I lift my eyes heavenward, I see the fullness of the light.

Each day, earthly things draw my gaze down, as I reflexively react to every day bumps and bruises. Before long, I lose track of just how light the day is and find myself mired in life’s problems. But, when I focus heavenward, I’m reminded, thankfully, that the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

Don’t let the enemy convince you the darkness has overcome God’s love, because no matter what you’re enduring, the darkness hasn't overcome His light and it never will.

No comments:

Post a Comment